Following consultation, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is introducing rules designed to prevent harm to investors, effective as of 9 December 2019.
The new rules cover:
• More explicit requirements to clarify what governance arrangements, systems and controls platforms need to have in place to support the outcomes they advertise, with a particular focus on credit risk assessment, risk management and fair valuation practices.
• Strengthening rules on plans for the wind-down of P2P platforms if they fail.
• Introducing a requirement that platforms assess investors’ knowledge and experience of P2P investments where no advice has been given to them.
• Setting out the minimum information that P2P platforms need to provide to investors.
• Applying the Mortgage and Home Finance Conduct of Business (MCOB) sourcebook and other Handbook requirements to P2P platforms that offer home finance products, where at least one of the investors is not an authorised home finance provider.
FCA’s new rules are available in full here.
Filip Karadaghi, LandlordInvest’s CEO stated that:
“We welcome FCA’s new rules as they are clearly designed to offer consumers more protection. This is particularly important given the recent collapse of a notable platform and general poor business practises witnessed by some other platforms.
Peer-to-peer is risky compared to many other financial products and only those consumers that fully understand the risks and that they may lose part or all of their investments, should consider investing in P2P.
Even so, as with any investing, investing in P2P should be made with prudence and with appropriate diversification across loans and platforms due to both loan specific risks and platform risk”.
Our blogs are for information purposes only. This content is not financial, legal or tax advice. Should you require any advice in relation to the earnings you make from LandlordInvest we recommend seeking independent professional advice. Links to other sites are provided for your convenience but LandlordInvest accepts no responsibility or liability for the content of those sites or of any external site. The information in this blog is correct at the time of posting.
Don't invest unless you're prepared to lose money. This is a high-risk investment. You may not be able to access your money easily and are unlikely to be protected if something goes wrong. Take 2 mins to learn more.
LandlordInvest Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) (FRN 660926). LandlordInvest Limited is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).
Loans provided to borrowers through LandlordInvest are provided solely for business purposes. Loans are therefore not regulated by the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 or the Consumer Credit Act 1974. You should seek independent legal advice if you are in any doubt as to the consequences of the loan not being a regulated agreement under those Acts.
LandlordInvest Limited (Company No. 09245725), registered office 5 Chancery Lane, London, WC2A 1LG